November 12, 2011

Team me up, Scotty!

As I finished writing my little paragraph about stewardship, leadership and teamwork, I thought fondly of one of my very favourite teams, my quintet, The Jazz Council.

We played a concert in Creston a couple of weeks ago at The Snoring Sasquatch, our first time at that venue. We had a blast, as we always do, and one of the comments I received after the show was that while it was obvious that we all have a lot of passion for the music, we don't seem to be concerned at all with ourselves as individuals; we play together as a group, and then whenever one of us takes a solo, everyone else gets out of the way and lets the soloist shine. People tell me time and again how great it is not just to listen to us, but to watch how we interact with one another, how much we seem to enjoy making music together.

I absolutely love playing with Bernie, Tim, Joel, and Sven. After every gig we play together, we grin and talk about how much fun we had, we go over what went well and what could have gone better, and we figure out how to iron out kinks for the next show. We chat openly and honestly about our performances. But what really makes everything work for us, I think, is that although we all take the music seriously, we don't take ourselves seriously. We can laugh off our mistakes, and we can hear comments and constructive criticism without taking them personally. We know that we want to sound good and that we want each other to sound good.

Back in April, when we were about to start recording our album, Dawn, we headed out past Wasa for a photo shoot with the lovely and talented Frida Viklund. The pictures that ended up on our posters and our album were posed, but my favourite shot of the day is the one below, which I think captures perfectly the spirit of our little group.

















P.S. The title of this post is terrible. I recognize that, and I'm sorry. I just can't resist a pun, no matter how bad. Please vote for me anyway.

No comments: